This page is also available in: Español
S Bazán-Godínez, JG Pérez-Tuñon
Accidental exposure to potentially toxic substances is a common problem in children. This condition could be catastrophic, depending on factors associated with the patient, their environment and the substance involved. In this sense, there is a group of commonly used substances that when ingested by an infant, even in small amounts (one tablet, sip or spoonful), may cause death, either because they are highly toxic or simply because they are in a high concentration. When a child ingests any of these substances, it should be recognized as “a potentially lethal exposure”. We propose the mnemonics CHAMACON to identify those substances and subsequently, we mentioned key aspects for the initial treatment in this exposures.
KEYWORDS: poisoning in children; lethal exposures in pediatrics